The Michigan Otolaryngology Society has a long history of supporting and advancing the otolaryngology specialty. The society was originally founded as the Detroit Otolaryngology Club in 1910. After many decades of serving as a meeting point for otolaryngologists in the Greater Detroit area, the organization’s name was changed in the 1970s to The Detroit Oto-Laryngological Society.
In May 1980, the name was changed again to The Michigan Oto-Laryngological Society. A constitution and bylaws were signed by Dieter Wendling, M.D., so the organization could serve a wider membership throughout the state. In April 1984, establishments and articles of incorporation were created.
The first annual summer meeting took place in 1985, with the John L. Kemink, M.D. Memorial Lecture occurring in June 1993. When the organization developed beyond the Detroit area, the first society website was created by Todd B. Proctor, M.D. in January 2009.
In 2010, we celebrated our 100th anniversary with a 100-Year Celebration. We continued to grow with technology and held our first live webinar in October 2013 under the leadership of Jan Akervall, M.D., Ph.D.
Our history is still unfolding. Join our society and help us create history.